Join World-Class Experts for an Out-of-this-World Workshop.
The 2nd Annual Global Space Ecology Workshop was a 2 day virtual conference held on October 13 - 14 2023. The event is passed, but you can view a recording of it on YouTube via the link below.
Download General Chat Logs
There were a lot of great conversations in the Zoom chat and we received several requests to make it available. Here you are! It’s pretty long, so I recommend using Ctrl + F to find specific messages.
Download 2023 Program
The program contains:
- Names of speakers and titles of their presentations
- Curated list of CES publications from Dr. Frieda Taub
- The paper summarizing the 2022 Space Ecology Workshop that was published at ICES 2023
Sessions at the 2023 Space Ecology Workshop
Selection, engineering, ecophysiological responses, and performance of biotic space ecosystem components including: A) Plants, B) Fungi, C) Animals (including humans), and D) Microbes
Community ecology, species composition/selection, cultivation (CEA), biogeochemistry, and safety of groups of organisms that provide food for human or other animal consumption.
- Community ecology, species composition/selection, cultivation (CEA), biogeochemistry, and safety of groups of organisms that decompose and recover nutrients from liquid or solid organic waste.
- Methods for collecting, isolating, and maintaining safety of (stabilizing) waste streams
- Community ecology, species composition/selection, cultivation (CEA), biogeochemistry, and safety of groups of organisms that regulate biogenic gas cycles and air quality (gas composition, temp, pressure)
- Methods for controlling air circulation, mass transfer, and safety
- Community ecology, species composition/selection, cultivation (CEA), biogeochemistry, and safety of groups of organisms that regulate hydrologic cycles and water quality (composition, temp, pathogens)
- Methods for controlling water circulation, mass transfer, and safety
- Metabolism, nutritional requirements, waste production, and other space habitat human factors
- Supply chain and logistics for human tasks (recycling and/or generation of materials and supplies needed for human tasks; laundering, material recycling, 3D printing, biomanufacturing, etc.)
Study of the function and architecture (structure) of off-Earth ecosystems, including exchange of material and energy between biotic and abiotic components. Subtopics might include cost-benefit of levels of closure, system level properties and scaling factors, diversity, stability, resilience, safety (system level pathogen control or other safety), BLSS/CELSS (mesocosm) design and modeling, and biospherics/terraforming (planetary scale).
Technological approaches and capabilities needed to realize regenerable space habitat ecosystems for supporting human life in extra-terrestrial environments, including the design, development and operations of ground-based facilities, flight hardware and experiments that incorporate and regulate biological, physical, and chemical processors for space life support or other space-based ecosystems. Subtopics of interest may include component reliability, process monitoring and control (sensors and actuators), component integration and interfaces, human factors in space habitat design, test facilities (small microcosms to full scale space habitat analogs or mesocosms), astrocultural equipment (growth chambers, bioreactors, etc.), food processing and preparation, and maintenance/operations.
Programmatic, policy, and ethical considerations in study and development of space ecosystems including professional community organization and coordination, outreach, research funding and programs, planetary protection, and international cooperation.
Enjoy a free workshop with presentations from ecology experts and other space-savvy professionals.
Do you have compelling research or an innovative invention to share? Submit a proposal to present at SEW 2023 at the link below!
Partner with SEW to promote your organization to relevant talent. Advance your mission by collaborating with attendees and other sponsors. Make your brand synonymous with life in space.
2023 Workshop Schedule
Establish the goals of the workshop. Introduce organizers and sponsors.
Space Ecology Past to Present
What have we learned? What do we still need to accomplish? In this session, we will validate and refine R&D needs and gaps.
Space Ecology Roadmap to the Future
Collaboratively build a roadmap of required research and technologies. Identify obstacles to realizing our vision and brainstorm solutions.
Closing Remarks & Next Steps
Establish contact and channels for continued collaboration. Define the next steps we will take to further space ecology.